What is web application development
Web application development is a combination of planning, management and software engineering activities performed by an organized team of software development professionals to create a web application in total compliance with a software requirements specification and business metrics.
Web app development is a type of software development focused only on creating a web application and its improvement and maintenance.
Sometimes web application development is a part of a more significant production scope that includes other software types like mobile applications, desktop applications or even games.
Web application development stages
This is a simplified list of web application development stages which is good enough to cover all production-related phases in web app development and receive a quality product.
1. Business logic design; user roles and web application interactions planning; UX and rapid prototyping
2. Preparing SRS, a software requirements specification for a web app development, with technical requirements
3. Web application technical architecture design
4. Web application development( engineering tasks):
setting environment, development and deployment flow( GIT, cloud, containers, backups & snapshots, etc),
third parties services integration( online payment integration, shipment integration, other),
QA, quality assurance for web app development: manual QA and automated testing.
5. Launching a web application in production and its further maintenance.
Web application technologies
Here is a list of web application technologies that we think a good start for a web application
2. PHP, a general purpose language that is used to develop server-side logic in the webapp development process.
It has many libraries and frameworks. One of the most stable, scalable and actively evolving PHP frameworks is Laravel.
YSBM Group is a PHP development company, feel free to reach out and ask for help with this programming stack.
3. Python is an interpreted, high-level language of a general purpose, that is distinguished for its code readability and simplicity of working with it.
In web application development, we use Django and Flask frameworks.
4. Java is a class-based general-purpose programming language which design is concentrated on making a low number of implementation dependencies.
It allows web application developers to write a code once and run it anywhere(WORA). Its most popular framework for web app development is Spring.
5. Ruby, an interpreted, high-level, dynamically typed, general-purpose programming language that can be effectively utilized for procedural, functional and object-oriented programming.
Its framework called Ruby on Rails is one of the popular technologies used in webapp development
6. Database technology: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB.
These databases are prevailing databases compatible with most programming languages and can cover all technical expectations.
7. Server technology: Apache, Nginx
When choosing from web application technologies for creating a web application, you must consider at least these criteria:
- cost of experienced software engineer that specializes in a particular technology
- licensing cost and licence restrictions that obligate webapp owner
- performance and scaling capacities of a chosen technology
- time for web application development depending on a technology choice
- how mature a technology is and how big and active its supporting infrastructure( community, company, tools).
Webapp development tools
Let's split webapp development tools by categories that depend on a web application development's area of responsibility
For planning and UX: Google docs, Mindmeister, Diagrams( draw.io), Lucidchart, Mockplus, Moqups, Balsamiq, and others
For web app development, deployment, maintenance: GIT( bitbucket, GitHub ), cloud infrastructure and related( AWS, Google Cloud, Digital Ocean, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, and others)
For testing a web application: Screencast-o-Matic and Google docs/sheets( to record issues for manual testing), for automated testing( Selenium, Katalon, TestComplete, and others)
For project management, while creating a web application: Redmine, Trello, Jira, Asana, Basecamp, Monday, and others
Utilize these webapp tools, technologies and stages, it will ensure your web application development success.